Built on the highest peak of the island, 914 metres. The mountain is named “Pantocrator” after the first church that was built there in the 14th Century. Once on this site stood an ancient temple dedicated to Zeus Cassios. A manuscript of 1347 was written by the monk Anthimos from Perithia writes that the church was built that year during the rule of the Angevin Robert of Taranto. This church was eventually destroyed in 1537 and the present one was built at the end of the 17th Century and the outer cells in the 19th Century. The church is dedicated to the Transfiguration of Christ and it is a single-nave Basilica. The Iconostasis is late 18th Century and the frescoes on the walls was the work of the Corfiot painter Ioannis Tzilios, but later they were painted over.
By Aleko Damaskinos