The salt pans at Lefkimi can be found near the village of Alikes. These 15th century pans stand alongside the small church of Aghios Iaonnis and the lighthouse of Lefkimi, which was the first floating lighthouse in Greece and was built in 1825. The salt mining here started in the 15th century and only ceased in the past few years. As salt production in this area stopped it has allowed for the introduction of many species of wildlife and has become a haven and an undisturbed breeding ground. Species including waterfowl, shorebirds and common starlings to name but a few have been seen here.