Kaisers Bridge is situated about 11km south of Corfu town on the main road just outside Benitses and around 20 minute drive by car. After 1907 when Kaiser Wilhelm II purchased the Achilleion palace he built a bridge at the bottom of the gardens to span the road and allow him easy access to the beach. The bridge was named after him and is called η γέφυρα του Κάιζερ in Greek and transliterated as the bridge belonging to Kaiser. Built and designed by Carl Ludwig Sprenger the botanical Architect, the bridge has been preserved today due to its architectural significance. Due to its low lying form the middle of the bridge was destroyed during the Second World War during the German occupation, to allow for army vehicles and tanks to be able to move around the island freely.